Read these pages for some background on Scarlett and friends!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When it Rains it Pours

Today is a rainy dayDon’t you love the sound of the rain drumming on the roof?   

When I was a child my family had a little cottage in the woods of Pennsylvania.  It was really only meant for summertime because it was constructed with no insulation or even sheetrock!  The place was just the boards over the studs, with a tin roof. Our cottage was one of about twenty that encircled a bonfire area.  The location was a Methodist Campground.  My Mom’s Grandmother was one of the founding members of the association.l_075f9fad06a64f1ca9d7c644b9f4bfa2

On rainy, summer days we would stay inside and read or play games or make crafts…whatever my Mom could think of for her brood of four!

candleglow

The votive candle is nestled in a Princess House domed butter dish.

When you were in the cottage, especially the second floor bedrooms, you could hear the rain on the roof and it was one of the most comforting sounds ever!

closeup

So in honor of Dimock Campground I have set a cheery table for a rainy day breakfast.  We are joined by the Morton Salt girl, in a few of her incarnations.

tincandle

The commemorative tin holding our sunflowers displays the 1914 Morton Salt Girl.

blurredcloseup

The Blue saucers are made in Mexico under the name Fortecrisa and the yellow luncheon plates are by Tabletops Gallery and are hand painted.  Isn’t this a happy color combination?!

closeuplayers

The little juice glasses are from Flemington Cut glass many years ago.  The serving platters that I am using for chargers are milk glass and I think they are called Ribbon Edged. These have been in my family for a while.

layeredlarge

The white plate that is sort of daisy shaped is labeled Le Grande Buffet, Salatier, 4530 china.  Believe it or not the tablecloth is a shower curtain and the napkins are dishtowels from The Dollar Store!

mugs

Illustrations of the 1921 and 1956 Morton Salt Girls grace our hot chocolate mugs.

plateteapot

Peeking out of the corner on the left is an April Cornell Teapot.

platetowel

Thank you for joining me on this rainy morning!

Gone for an umbrella,

Scarlet

Parties we are attending!!

Cuisine Kathleen-Let's Dish!

Bunny Jeans Décor & More -Bunny Hop!!

No Minimalist Here-Open House Party!

Between Naps on the Porch-Tablescape Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. So good to see you posting so much! Your blue and yellow table looks great. I too, love the sound of the rain hitting the roof. It is very comforting. Good thing I feel that way because in Oregon we get a lot of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post. Blue and yellow is a favorite combo for me, and I do love the sound of rain. Just wish we could hear it again here in TX. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raindrops on the rooftop is one of my favorite sounds and the smells...incredible. I loved this post. It reminded me of when I was a girl, too. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. I love the thought of a cabin in the woods. B. I adore rainy days!. C. I am completely charmed by the memories evoked by your setting. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. That brings back memories of our summer cottGe, listening to the rain on the roof!
    Thanks so much for sharing your pretty table and sharing your memories at Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post...I remember going to camp in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your time and thoughtfulness in leaving a comment. We are thrilled to hear from you!
All the best, Eileen, Donna and Laurie