Read these pages for some background on Scarlett and friends!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Birdland

Happy Met Monday!
Thank you to Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting this fun party!  Hop on over there and check out all the really cool ideas!
Kathleen at Faded Charm Cottage is the hostess for White Wednesday and I have also joined the party there.  To see all the beautiful whites click here
I am finally able to get back to posting and I need to make up for lost time!!  In the coming months there will be lots of great ideas and pretty pictures.  Be sure to check back!!
Mom, Laur and I really stocked up on cool stuff and terrific bargains over the summer and we can't wait to show them all off!
For today let's concentrate on some Metamorphi!!
For the Birds
This looks like a plain old wire birdcage.  Maybe to me and you but, Laurie see's something more...Laur and her family attended a wedding this summer and the receptacle for the cards from the guests was a birdcage with a little padlock on it!  You just dropped your card safely inside and the bride and
groom could open the lock to retrieve their gifts later, after the party was over.
 








This caused a stir in the creative mind 
of my sister!  She painted her birdcage white and lined
the bottom with toile fabric...which by the way matches her home office curtains.
Just for fun she attached an old glass drawer pull.  The little dishes original to the cage were turquoise which Laurie thought added a colorful touch.  You can see an antique fountain pen
 tucked into the drinking bowl for a unique accessory.
Using the newly painted perches as supports, she inserted her mail.  Envelopes rests on the perches for easy access.  Note the addition of the escutcheon!
 Two perches make it easy to separate incoming and outgoing mail!


 With the addition of a sweet polka dotted bow, Laur has a nifty and sylish mail sorter that co-ordinates beautifully with her office!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my that is so cute. I never would have thought of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've got several birdcages--but they are just stuck places to look 'pretty'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great, original use for a birdcage -- thank you! I love your blog, and your blog name (have I commented on this before?)... I'm currently trying to name my blog and it's so hard to be original and still capture your /essence/interests! Happy WW! :) mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how these vintage cages are being used...this is the best so far..thanks for the inpiration...now if I could just find one that doesn't have a price tag made of gold...LOL

    I'm visiting for White Wednesday. I'd love for you to pop in for a quick visit. :0)

    Have a wonderful day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your time and thoughtfulness in leaving a comment. We are thrilled to hear from you!
All the best, Eileen, Donna and Laurie